Thursday 22 August 2013

Alan Johnson MP: reveals “My top five Mod tracks” in the Big Issue


“The 'Modfather of Westminster' and former Home Secretary picks his favourite tunes from the era...” says The Big Issue: -

Music has always been an important element of my life. As a small child my sister and I would sit on top of a honky-tonk piano at weddings and parties where my father was the resident pianist.

In those days music was not as ubiquitous as it is now. There were three radio stations on our Radio Rentals wireless – BBC Home, Light and Third Programmes.

My fixation was with Lonnie Donegan and I’d try to pick out his tunes on my little Tommy Steele plastic guitar. Then my mum had a modest win on the Pools and bought me an acoustic (or “Spanish”) guitar.

When The Beatles hit the scene, changing popular music for ever, the pirate radio stations emerged to give us kids the sounds we demanded day and night. By then I had one ambition – to write and record pop songs. The two bands I was in never made the big time but we had lots of fun trying.

My top five mod tracks are, in reverse order…

5. Out of Time, Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds

Chris Farlowe turned this Stones cover into a mod classic and a Number One record.

4. In the Midnight Hour, Wilson Pickett

Stax label’s finest. The horn section lifts this record from good to great.

3. All or Nothing, Small Faces

The ultimate mod band and the only rock stars to make me wish I was four inches smaller.

2. Green Onions, Booker T and the MG's

The coolest sound of the early ’60s – just as cool more than 50 years later.

1. The Kids are Alright, The Who

A soaring anthem to mod-ism.
 
By Alan Johnson MP
 
I'm don't think we'll be seeing him at The Hideaway Club anytime soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Detail Magazine - Issue 12 Out Now!

  The Spring issue of Detail - features on Dee C Lee, Gabicci, Ted Carroll, Eddie Piller, Jimmy Smith, Tim Vickery, Tony Briggs, Paul Smiler...